In our class, we love to learn through active play and exploration both inside and out. We are lucky to have the support of Mrs Coe, our fantastic teaching assistant, she takes the class on a Tuesday afternoon supported by Mrs Manning.
Parental Support is very important and would love to hear from you if you are available to help in any way. We hope this page will give an insight into our busy class. The safety and happiness of your child is very important to us so please come and see us at any time if you have any questions or concerns - we're always happy to help.
Thank you for your continued support.
Miss Shawcross and Mrs Coe
Autumn Term 2017 - How times change
This term we will be learning about ‘How times change'. We will be looking at toys of the past and present, differences in transport and exploring space travel. Children will work towards building skills to allow them to compare objects and way of life from 'then and now'. The children will plan and make their own rockets and will be given several problem solving tasks such as getting toys out of ice, jelly and mud. We will be using the following books and stories to enhance our learning:
-The Rainbow fish - Marcus Pfister
-Giraffe's can't dance - Giles Andreae
- Bear Hunt -Michael Rosen
-Where's My Teddy -Jez Alborough
-Kipper's Toy Box - Mick Inkpen
-The Naughty Bus -Jan Oke
- The Train Ride - June Crebbin
- My Gumpy's Outing - John Burningham
Please see the link below for a curriculum overview of our topic !
Key class information
*PE day is a Friday ( Year 1) and Thursday ( Reception) - Please leave PE bags in school until half term and ensure your child is wearing something that they can independently take off/put back on.
*Ensure your child has a bottle of water in school every day - no squash please.
*Try to read with your child at least 3x week and make a brief comment in your child's book so that they can collect stickers for their bookmarks.
*Please encourage your child to go into the cloakroom on their own in the mornings as we are working on increasing their independence (as well as easing congestion!)
* Homework Year 1 - Year 1's get homework weekly. It includes spellings ( to be tested on Fridays), a maths activity, occasional phonics activities, handwriting and other 'one off' homework. All homework is to be handed in on a Thursday and is given out on a Friday.
* Homework Reception - Homework is optional for Reception children. They are given a homework book with a task to complete each week along with handwriting.
* Reading at home - children are given reading books and children are encourage to read a minimum of x3 a week. This includes Year 1 and Reception.
Our parent mornings take place on Tuesday at 8.40am. Parents are invited to join us for a variety of activities including painting, drawing, puzzles and much more! Parents will be notified when these will be starting as we wait for the children to settle in before inviting parents in.