Welcome to Class 1
In our class, we love to learn through active play and exploration both inside and out. We are lucky to have the support of Mrs Coe, our fantastic teaching assistant, she takes the class on a Tuesday afternoon supported by Mrs Manning.
Parental Support is very important and would love to hear from you if you are available to help in any way. We hope this page will give an insight into our busy class. The safety and happiness of your child is very important to us so please come and see us at any time if you have any questions or concerns - we're always happy to help.
Thank you for your continued support.
Miss Shawcross and Mrs Coe
Summer Term 2018
This term we will be learning about ‘Animals’. This will include mini topics on Africa, dinosaurs, farmyards and minibeasts. Year 1s will be following the same curriculum as Class 2 and further topic planning for both Year 1 and Reception can be found below. We will be looking at a range of animals from all over the globe, thinking about how they are adapted to their environment, how their habitats differ and where they fit in the food chain. The children will be exploring animals through the following books:
-We’re going on a lion hunt by David Axtell
-The lion who wanted to love by Giles Andreae
-Handa’s Surprise by Eileen Browne
- Dinosaurs love underpants by Ben Freedman and Ben Cort
-How to grow a dinosaur by Caryl Hart
-Dinosaur Day Out by Nick Sharratt
-Harry and the Bucketful of dinosaurs by Ian Whybrow
-What the Ladybird heard by Julia Donaldson
-3 little pigs as a Traditional Fairytale
-Squash and a Squeeze by Julia Donaldson
-Farmer Duck by Martin Waddell
- The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle
-Superworm by Julia Donaldson
-The Bad Tempered Lady Bird by Eric Carle
- Spinderella by Julia Donaldson
Please see the link below for a curriculum overview of our topic !
Key class information
*PE day is a Friday- Please leave PE bags in school until half term and ensure your child is wearing something that they can independently take off/put back on. PE will be outside for the entire summer term.
*Ensure your child has a bottle of water in school every day - no squash please.
*Try to read with your child at least 3x week and make a brief comment in your child's book so that they can collect stickers for their bookmarks.
*Please encourage your child to go into the cloakroom on their own in the mornings as we are working on increasing their independence (as well as easing congestion!)
* Homework Year 1 - Year 1's get homework weekly. It includes spellings ( to be tested on Fridays), a maths activity, occasional phonics activities, handwriting and other 'one off' homework. All homework is to be handed in on a Thursday and is given out on a Friday.
* Homework Reception - Homework is optional for Reception children. They are given a homework book with a task to complete each week along with handwriting.
* Reading at home - children are given reading books and children are encourage to read a minimum of x3 a week. This includes Year 1 and Reception.
Stay N’ Play Mornings
Our parent mornings take place on Tuesday at 8.40am. Parents are invited to join the children in the classroom to look at their work, play with their favourite toys and look at their merit cards! Parents mornings will continue from Tuesday 17th April.