Part 1: Watch the YouTube video below to follow Dean Read as he walks 55 miles along the Derwent Valley Heritage Way, starting at Derby and travelling north. Try plotting all the places he stops at on a road map or list them down.
Part 2: At 32mins on the video, Dean shows you a simplified map showing the Derwent Valley Heritage Way. Have a go at drawing your own map of the route. Draw the River Derwent first, then plot on the route and label as many places as you can. You may need to make your map fairly large!
L.O: To find out how new plants arrived in this country
- Go on a plant hunt. Complete the Plant Hunt Activit y Sheet to record which plants you find.
- Watch the Plant Hunters powerpoint parts 1 -3 to learn the difference between 'native' and 'non-native' plants and find out about the Plant Hunters who collected plants from other parts of the world and brought them to the UK.
- Carry out the Plant Hunters Activity Sheet to show facts about each famous explorer.
- Watch the Plant Hunters powerpoint part 4 to find out how the explorers looked after the seeds they collected and learn about the explorer, Joseph Banks.
- Imagine you are a Plant Hunter and you have discovered a new plant. Use the New Discovery Activity sheet to draw your plant and explain its requirements to grow healthily.
L.O: To find out who Sikhs are and what they believe.
What do you know about Sikhism?
- Read through the facts about Sikhs on the slides about Guru Nanak and how Sikhism began.
- Complete the 'Sikhism Factfile' (Choose 1A, 1B or 1C) using the Information sheet to help you.
- Play Sikhism Fact dominoes - can you match the questions with correct answers?