Class 2 had a fabulous time linking their learning about boats with their Design and Technology project - How can I make a boat that floats successfully?
They had to think about questions such as;
What will I make it from?
How will I fix materials together?
How will I keep it upright?
What size should it be?
What shape would work best?
The children worked hard to plan, design, make and evaluate their boats - it took a lot of hard work and plenty of rethinking and remaking, but the results were worth it!
Design and Technology Learning Objectives covered:
* design purposeful, functional, appealing products for themselves and other users based on design criteria
* generate, develop, model and communicate their ideas through talking, drawing, templates and mock-ups
* select from and use a range of tools and equipment to perform practical tasks [for example, cutting, shaping, joining and finishing]
* select from and use a wide range of materials and components, including construction materials, textiles and ingredients, according to their characteristics
* explore and evaluate a range of existing products
* evaluate their ideas and products against design criteria
* build structures, exploring how they can be made stronger, stiffer and more stable